Different Ways to Promote Your Website
A lot of people are getting into internet marketing these days. It’s a relatively new field, one that’s still hulking around trying to find solid ground. Universities and colleges don’t even have degree courses on internet marketing. But if there’s anything anyone knows about trying to sell something, it’s that internet marketing is the future of marketing. Period. Give it time and you’ll see what internet marketing can do in the next couple years.
But even so, how many times have you gotten a strange look whenever someone asks what you do for a living and you tell them, “I’m an internet marketer”? There are still some people who either don’t know a dime about internet marketing, or believe this kind of marketing is nothing more than a one-trick pony. Let me tell you this – internet marketing is a broad field. Engineers have different areas of expertise. Same goes for internet marketers. Internet marketing is anything but a one-trick pony.
If you’re thinking about getting into the field of internet marketing, you must choose a specialization, and get better at it. Here are the different ways to promote a website.
1. Link building – Link building is the process of creating links that direct traffic back to your website. This serves two purposes. First it opens more tunnels for people to find your website and second, it allows your website to rank higher on search engine hits.
2. Pay-Per-Click marketing – Pay-Per-Click marketing (or PPC marketing) uses an advanced algorithm to determine relevant ads to display based on the website being viewed. PPC marketing is a heavyweight field in internet marketing.
3. Email marketing – Email marketing is the act of creating a list of subscriber emails and sending them promotional ads regularly.
4. Social media marketing – A relatively new field of internet marketing, social media marketing focuses on advertising and promoting to online communities which is very popular nowadays with platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, etc.
5. Affiliate marketing – Affiliates are people who promote someone else’s products and gets a commission for every sale made. The same is true with affiliate marketing on the internet. An affiliate website gets paid a commission when its marketing leads to a successful sale transaction for the seller.
6. Content marketing – You see this one all the time. Content marketing is about churning out content in the form of articles, reviews and other things relevant to the website you’re trying to promote. This opens more windows for more people to learn about your website. Or if the article is keyword-rich, it could also give your website a healthy boost in search engine rankings.
7. Search engine optimization – Search engine optimization (SEO) is all about creating websites that are search engine-friendly right down to the technical details like meta tags and coding structure.
As an internet marketer, it doesn’t mean you can’t be a jack-of-all-trades and learn all these different ways of promoting a website. But learning the basics of everything and then focusing your expertise on just one specialization is still the best way to go. Expertise simply can’t be beat by someone who knows only a little bit of everything.